月読 調 Tsukuyomi Shirabe
|Anime||Senki Zesshō Symphogear G|
|Game||Senki Zesshō Symphogear XD Unlimited|
|Relatives||Finé (Ancestor, †)|
Shirabe (調?) - Means "Tune" in Japanese.
Tsukuyomi (月読?) - Means "Moon Reading" in Japanese. It is also short for the name of the Shinto moon god, Tsukuyomi no Mikoto.
Shirabe has light pink eyes with long, straight black hair in a hime cut. Her hair is held in two pig-tails tied with pink ribbons. She is most often seen wearing a pink and black long sleeved dress with dark pink stockings and black boots. When briefly possessed by Finé, she gains her distinctive catlike eyes.
Shirabe is very silent and calm, to the point of emotionless. However, this is most likely a facade to hide how deeply she cares for her teammates, as during her fight against Kirika in Season 2, Episode 12 she said that she wouldn't want a world without Kirika, and the few people who were saved using the methods Dr. Ver planned to use would doubtless feel the same way.
Shirabe's past prior to becoming part of the Receptor Children is still largely unknown, but it is known from her character description for Symphogear AXZ that she became one of the Receptor Children during some sort of accident, which is when she was kidnapped and placed in the White Orphanage. It is known that she is an orphan.
After the death of Ryōko Sakurai during season 1, the FIS attempted to determine if Finé had revived in any of the Receptor Children, but were unable to do so. They then planned to dispose of the project, but due to an armed uprising led by Nastassja — with the help of funding provided by the Bavarian Illuminati — the existence of the confined Receptor Children was brought to light. In fear of criticism from the international community, the US government quickly changed their tune and arranged for the children to be released of their own will or provided shelter. At this point, Maria, Shirabe, and Kirika joined with Nastassja and Dr. Ver in order to stop the fall of the Moon.
Attacks and Abilities
Various Shul Shagana tron
Shirabe owns the Relic Shul Shagana. As a candidate for the Symphogear, she has the ability to fight Noise with the use of the anti-Noise armour that clads her in battle. However, she requires LiNKER to do so.
Her Armed Gear is unusual in that it is not hand-carried, but rather consists of buzz saw discs of varying sizes hidden in the rabbit ear-like compartments on her head. In addition to this, Shirabe's boots each contain a buzz saw-like wheel which she can use as roller blades. As of the third season, her arsenal has been augmented with a pair of razor blade yo-yos, and even the skirt on her armor has been shown to be capable of being used as a buzzsaw.
As one of Finé's descendants Shirabe is able to form barriers called "Asgard" as a means of protection. However, this ability was most likely lost when Finé sacrificed her soul to prevent Shirabe from dying of a fatal wound.
- Alpha Style 100 Rebirths - Hundreds of small saw blades are fired from Shirabe's compartments.
- Gamma Style Infinite Firewheels - Shirabe's compartments unfold into a pair of waldo arms each ending in one massive buzz saw capable of being used as a shield. These buzz saws can be launched as much larger versions of Alpha Style 100 Rebirths' projectile. Almost all of Shirabe's other attacks extend from this one.
- Reverse Gamma Style Reckless Infinite Strike - A doubled version of Gamma Style Infinite Firewheels, with each compartment splitting into two so that Shirabe can wield four buzz saws at once.
- Extreme Sigma Style Lunar Eclipse - Both of Shul Shugana's large buzz saws combine into a large mono wheel vehicle which Shirabe can use for transportation or to ride into an opponent.
- Extreme Sigma Style Forbidden Moon Ring - This attack is functionally identical to Extreme Sigma Style Lunar Eclipse.
- Emergency Phi Style Twin Moon Karma - Each of Shul Shugana's large buzz saws transforms into a helicopter rotor which arrange themselves to place one above and one below Shirabe, providing protection as well as allowing her to fly and use herself as a ramming weapon.
- Superb Song - Her Superb Song forms armor over her arms and legs, arming her with a large pair of buzz saws on her arms. She describes it as an immense strike along a fixed trajectory, effective against immobile or barely moving opponents.
- Final Omega Style - Dystopia - Only usable in X-Drive, this attack transforms most of Shul Shugana's armor into a giant robot armed with buzz saw arms and bladed ears, which she pilots from a motorcycle-style cockpit on its head.
- Unnamed S2CA Art - An augmented version of S2CA Tri Burst which uses Kirika, Shirabe and Maria as well as all 7 billion people on Earth, producing enough combined phonic gain to unlock the X-Drive of all six Symphogears, which together ram into the target as a bright lance of rainbow light.
- Vitalization - A six-member combination attack accessible only in X-Drive, which forms a pair of large arms out of Gungnir and Airgetlám's armor components that deliver a combined punch fueled by the energy of all six Symphogears.
- Delta Style Charming Accelkiller - She spins at high speed, and the skirt on her armor becomes a buzzsaw.
- Beta Style Super Saw Slash - She combines her two yo-yos into a massive buzzsaw that she can use to attack her opponent from a distance.
- ZABABA Eclipse: Forbidden Wheel of Evil - A combination attack with Kirika. While Shirabe uses Extreme Sigma Style Forbidden Moon Ring, Kirika uses The Slasher Jabberwock from the other side of the enemy, allowing them both to slice through the enemy simultaneously while the enemy is bound, with Kirika using her pauldrons to grab Shirabe and pull on her in order to speed both of them up.
- Asgard - Being a descendant of Finé, Shirabe can summon pink shields that can deflect almost anything. This ability was most likely lost after Finé sacrificed her soul.
- Final β Style・Steel Web Slash
- Extreme Σ Style・Forbidden Moon Ring IGNITE
- ORBITAL BEAT (Ver.ZABABA) (with Kirika)
- Edge Works of Goddess ZABABA (with Kirika)
- Hajimari no Babel (with Hibiki, Tsubasa, Chris, Maria and Kirika)
- Nijiiro no Flügel (with Hibiki, Tsubasa, Chris, Maria, Kirika and Kanade)
- Just Loving X-Edge (with Kirika)
- Arigatō wo Utai Nagara (with Maria and Kirika)
- Senritsu Sorority (with Maria and Kirika)
- Axia no Kaze (with Hibiki, Tsubasa, Chris, Maria and Kirika)
- Gizagizagirari☆Full Throttle (with Kirika)
- Fūgetsu no Shissō (with Tsubasa)
- Shirabe's battle song genre is techno.
- Shirabe uses Japanese and Greek language for her attack names.
- Shirabe and Ryōko Sakurai's hairstyle are similar to Finé's.
- Her relic's name, along with Kirika's, was revealed in G's OP.
- Shirabe's twintails give her a rabbit-like design.
- Shirabe reveal to be a great cook, she seem to being in charge of the cooking for her group during G, and in AXZ, she cook a large assortment of dish for Hibiki birthday.
- Shirabe wears the opposite colour of Kirika's relic.
- Shirabe is the Gear user with the third largest number of attacks (10).
- As every other main character in this show, Kirika and Shirabe's insert songs make a lot of reference to themselves. Specifically:
- "Singing the melody" (Original Japanese: Shirabe Utau): Uta (Sing, or song) is the alternate pronunciation of 歌, which is the second kanji in Kirika's name. Shirabe (調, meaning melody) is the very same word in Shirabe's name.
- "The two of us are (like) the Sun and Moon": Kirika's last name Akatsuki (暁)'s left radical is 日, which means "sun". Shirabe's last name Tsukuyomi (月読) on the other hand contains the radical 月, which means "moon".
- There's also multiple occurences of the phrase "I wish to tell you 'I love you'", which is exactly what the two did in G Episode 11, G Episode 12, and GX Episode 8.
- Many fans believe that she has a scar on her back from taking the hit that Kirika had meant for herself. This has since been proven wrong by the show canon, as there have been multiple nude or shower scenes featuring Shirabe that show her with no scar on her back.
- Shirabe became a Symphogear user when she was only twelve years old, and she met Kirika when she was thirteen.
- Shirabe's name was not originally read as "Shirabe Tsukuyomi". The reading of "Shirabe Tsukuyomi" was given to her by the F.I.S.. However, Shirabe does not remember the original reading for her name.
- "この世界にはあなたのような偽善者が多すぎる/There are too many hypocrites like you in this world" - Season 2, Episode 2
- "助けたのは、あなたのためじゃない/I didn't help because of you" - Season 2, Episode 4
- (To Kirika) "But she doesn't lie about herself! She lives as her heart wills, and she shines so brightly that I'm envious." - Season 2, Episode 11
- (To Kirika) "Those few you manage to save the doctor's way will feel the same loss as I do! Who would want to live on in a world like that? I can't sing for that ideal!" - Season 2, Episode 12
- (To Kirika) "You don't understand! The world of which I dream can't exist without you! I don't want a world that forces solitude on people!" - Season 2, Episode 12
- (To Hibiki) "I want to believe that you're more than just a hypocrite. So while I'm here, show me first-hand what saving people means to you. Show us." - Season 2, Episode 13
- Main article: Shirabe Tsukuyomi/Image gallery
References and Notes
Senki Zesshō Symphogear AXZ Characters
Miku Kohinata | Genjuro Kazanari | Shinji Ogawa | Sakuya Fujitaka | Aoi Tomosato | Elfnein | Fudō Kazanari | Saint-Germain
Cagliostro | Prelati | Tiki | Adam Weishaupt | Sonia Virena | Stephan Virena | Yumi Itaba | Kuriyo Ando | Shiori Terashima