雪音 クリス Yukine Kurisu
|Anime||Senki Zesshō Symphogear Episode #3
|Game||Super Heroine Chronicle
|Age||16 (S1, S2)|
|Hair Color||Lavender (S1)|
White (S2 onwards)
|Relics||Nehushtan Armor (Former)|
|Relatives||Masanori Yukine (Father, deceased)|
Sonnet M. Yukine (Mother, deceased)
She is initially an antagonist working under the main villain, Finé, wielding the Nehushtan Armor stolen from the Zwei Wing concert two years prior to the story. During season 1, Chris switches sides and joins the protagonists to work against Finé, symbolized by her change of relic from the Nehushtan Armor to the Ichaival Symphogear. By season 2, Chris has become a full-fledged protagonist wielding Ichaival and is working to move on from her past.
Chris (クリス Kurisu?) - short for "Christian". Initially derived from a Greek word meaning "anointed".
Yukine (雪音?) - written with the kanji "snow" and "sound".
Chris is a short girl with purple eyes and long lavender hair that falls to her knees, separated into twintails that further split into three curly strands each, and an ahoge. She wears a maroon, skin-tight one-piece with a black choker, short puffy sleeves and shorts, a translucent red-violet cutout exposing some of her chest and upper back, detached long sleeves with black accents that go past her wrist, black lace trim on the end of the shorts, black stockings with maroon ribbon garters attached to the dress, and maroon pumps. She wears her relic pendant around her neck. In the manga, this outfit lacks the translucent material in her chest and back cutouts, leaving those areas bare; her relic pendant is attached to her choker (the choker itself disconnected from her one-piece), and Chris' hair is tied with pink scrunchies. The manga also shows that the one-piece is done up at the back with a zipper.
When she was eight years old, Chris wore a pink dress with a light-pink front tied with cross-laces, short puffy sleeves, long light-pink or white sleeves, white lace-trimmed kneehigh socks, and red-brown shoes. Her hair is still in twintails that separate slightly, but shorter and at the front of her head instead of her back, draped over her shoulders, and tied with pink bows. In the manga, this outfit is significantly different: Chris' dress buttons up at the front and has a more flared skirt with white frills, and she wears a long-sleeved white shirt with arm cuffs and a buttoned-up collar. Instead of kneehigh socks, she has socks rolled up just above her foot, and she has buckle shoes instead of slip-ons.
Briefly in episode 5, Chris is seen dressed in a leather bondage outfit consisting of a black choker with a silver ring, tied at the back with a long ribbon, a black zip-up bustier that exposes her breasts and upper back, with straps attached to the ring and belts running down her exposed stomach and back attaching to straps on her thighs, black elbow gloves, and either black or pale-purple underwear (the colour changes in different shots, which was not corrected in the Blu-ray releases). The concept art shows her wearing heels with this outfit, but she is barefoot in the anime.
Though not seen in the anime or manga, Chris wears a long and loose pink dress with frills that exposes her upper shoulders and back as pajamas.
In season 2, Chris' hair color is changed to white, and she wears pink scrunchies in her hair. Her casual outfit is a low-collar, long-sleeved, and multi-layered red and maroon dress with lace trim and puffy white shorts underneath, white thighighs done with red bows and garters, and maroon pumps.
In season 3, Chris' casual outfit consists of a sleeveless pink button-up shirt with frills, maroon shorts, black thighhighs with garters with rose buttons on them, and maroon pumps. She wears a light-blue, low-collar shirt and shorts with pink trim and a red bow as pajamas; while wearing these, she has her twintails tied together with red ribbons.
As of season 2, Chris has joined Lydian Music Academy and is subsequently seen wearing the school uniform. Her uniform is reasonably loose-fitting due to her large bust and smaller stature, and the cuffs of her sleeves are occasionally seen to go past her sleeves.
As a result of her harsh life, Chris is hot-headed, antagonistic, and aggressive, quick to distrust others, especially adults, who have only ever treated her like objects. Though she has declared her personal goal to be to destroy everyone else with power, and willingly cooperates with Finé in order to achieve that goal, under the false impression that Finé is working for the same goal of bring peace to the world as her, Chris actually hates the thought of hurting innocent people.
Though Chris is aware that Finé is only using her and openly shows resentment towards Finé for using and mistreating her like all other adults, being regularly subjected to torture and implied sexual abuse at Finé's hands for Finé's amusement, she still holds some affection for Finé, seeking Finé's approval and believing that Finé is the only person who understands her. However, this is largely born of Finé's isolation and grooming of Chris.
Chris claims to hate singing because of the destruction she can cause with her relic, which is why she never uses the Ichaival. The manga further expands on this, with Chris hating singing because her song was used to activate Solomon's Cane, which Finé made frequent use of to cause death and chaos. As a result of being reached out to by Hibiki Tachibana and Miku Kohinata, and abandoned by Finé, Chris relearns how to be kind and caring, culminating in her sacrificing herself and using her once-hated singing to protect the world, following in the footsteps of her parents and the dreams they wished to fulfill when they were still alive.
After the events of season 1, though Chris is still hot-headed and rough-natured, she has become much gentler in nature, open and honest to herself and others. She gets embarrassed easily and is somewhat socially maladjusted and awkward as a result of her near-constant isolation and friendlessness since she was eight years old.
As part of a non-government volunteer organization, Chris' parents took an eight-year-old Chris with them to put on public music performances in various places throughout South America, with the ultimate goal of lending aid to the local war refugees. At first, Chris' family traveled along with delegates from the United Nations, but eventually got trapped by the expanding front-lines of the ongoing war, and became isolated from their organization. They were later declared missing. Shortly after that, Masanori and Sonnet's deaths were confirmed by outside sources, but they were continually unable to determine what exactly had become of Chris.
It turned out that Chris had been kidnapped by a terrorist gang after her parents were killed, and spent the next six years of her life in child sex trafficking. Two years prior to the series, Chris was rescued by the UN and transferred to Japan. Genjūrō Kazanari was arranged to be her legal guardian, but Chris was instead kidnapped by Finé to be groomed into a tool to use to further Finé's plans. Though many agents, Genjūrō included, were sent to find her, Finé foiled all their efforts and made several die or even disappear. Thus, the search for Chris was called off. Chris has been living in isolation with Finé since.
Attacks and Abilities
Killiter Ichaival Tron
Chris is the owner of Second Relic Ichaival. As a Symphogear user, Chris has the ability to fight Noise with the use of the anti-Noise armour, the Symphogear, that clads her in battle. As an "Attuned", she can use the Power of Song (歌の力 Uta no Chikara?) to summon her Armed Gear to fight.
Her Armed Gear is a pair of crossbows that fire up to five homing beam arrows each. The Gear forms from her forearm armor and can retract at will to allow use of her hands. They also have a smaller pistol form more suited for close combat.
- Nirvana Gedon - used while wearing the Nehushtan Armor, this attack is a large white energy sphere crackling with black electricity within which forms at the end of one of the Armour’s chain whips and is flung at the enemy. It can be used repeatedly in succession, but isn't exceptionally strong, as Hibiki was able to endure two consecutive shots with little damage.
- Megadeth Party - Chris unleashes a barrage of twenty-four missiles from the missile launchers that open up at her sides. While the X-Drive is active, this attack instead becomes a continual stream of homing lasers. While the Ignite Module is active, it seems to become a continuous barrage of missiles instead of a single volley.
- Megadeth Quartet - A supercharged version of Megadeth Party wherein Chris's armor transforms into a large, braced backpack which produces a quartet of missiles several times larger than Chris herself. While it can destroy large Noise in a single shot, Chris is vulnerable while the attack is charging. As a supplementary function Megadeth Party is enhanced to fire a set of large triangular block missiles which release twelve of the normal Megadeth Party missiles apiece. A variation of this attack only creates two missiles and has no supplementary fire, but is much faster to charge as a result.
- When used while Chris has the Ignite Module activated, the attack is very different and requires no time to charge. After creating the four large missiles, she launches a Mega Deth Party, then fires the large missiles afterwards. The sides of the large missiles then split open, and multiple smaller missiles are launched from the larger missiles.
- Billion Maiden - Chris transforms her crossbows into a pair of double tri-barrle gatlings that fit over each of her arms, trading the homing properties of her crossbows for raw firepower. This is Chris's favored configuration, and she is rarely seen not using it to the extent that her official art usually displays her with Billion Maiden active.
- Superb Song - Chris's Superb Song has her release her Reflector Bits and fire a round from each of her pistols into them, the energy from the rounds gradually augmenting with each reflection until it forms the shape of a vast set of butterfly wings. The pistols are then combined into an enormous rifle which fires a single large beam, augmented by the energy from the wings. This attack is strong enough to considerably reduce the destructive power of a round from Kadingir, though it could not stop the latter attack completely.
- Synchrogazer - This is a technique that was used by Tsubasa, Chris and Hibiki using the complete Relic, Durandal. Most of the power in this attack was from Hibiki, but Tsubasa, Chris and Hibiki's friends helped keep Hibiki grounded to her real self and they contributed to the attack.
- S2CA Tri Burst - An attack introduced in Symphogear G, serving as a combination attack between Hibiki, Chris, and Tsubasa. The energy from all three singing their Superb Song at once is channelled into Hibiki's right hand, with the harmony of the three songs cancelling their harmful backlash and resulting in a vast tornado of rainbow-hued light.
- Giga Zeppelin - An attack introduced in Symphogear G, wherein Chris expands the length and width of her crossbows to load them with a pair of enormous crystal spikes. Once fired the spikes each break apart into a large number of smaller spikes which rain down on the targets.
- Red Hot Blaze - An attack introduced in Symphogear G, which transforms Chris's armor into a large crossbow-like sniper rifle with targeting scope. It bears the questionable distinction of being the only attack in the series to have a title card without ever actually being used.
- It was used again in GX, but instead of being fired, it was used as a club.
- Queen's Inferno - An enhancement to Chris's basic homing crossbows which adds an additional firing lane on either side of the main ones, tripling her rate of fire.
- Reflector - The rear compartments on Chris's skirt armor can open to release dozens of diamond-shaped remote weapons which together can project a barrier capable of reflecting or augmenting attacks. This was initially only used in her Superb Song, but she later used them on their own in an effort to defend against the Shen Shou Jing.
- Armor Purge - While not an attack per se, this is an ability unique to Chris. In times of danger she can completely shed any relic she wears, which transforms into pellets of light to strike everything around her. Using this ability cancels her transformation and leaves her nude for a few minutes afterward, after which her normal clothing will reappear if she does not have another relic to activate before then. In X-Drive Chris can choose to only shed the bulky weapons platform created by the form. She first used this ability in Episode 7 of the first season against Hibiki, shedding the Nehushtan Armor before activating Ichaival to replace it. In Symphogear G she uses the ability twice, once in Episode 12 after all of her other abilities were disabled by Anti-LiNKER and again in Episode 13 to shed her X-Drive weapons platform.
- Unnamed S2CA Art - An augmented version of S2CA Tri Burst which uses Kirika, Shirabe and Maria as well as all 7 billion people on Earth, producing enough combined phonic gain to unlock the X-Drive of all six Symphogears, which together ram into the target as a bright lance of rainbow light.
- Vitalization - A six-member combination attack accessible only in X-Drive, which forms a pair of large arms out of Gungnir and Airgetlam's armor components that deliver a combined punch fuelled by the energy of all six Symphogears.
- Megadeth Symphony -
- Megadeth Fuga - Essentially the same as the weaker version of Mega Deth Quartet, she launches two large missiles at her enemies.
- Arthemis Spiral - She turns her Armed Gear into a longbow and fires a missile from it. Once fired, the missile expands from the size of an arrow to its full size.
Battle Against Noise
Chris first appears in Episode 3 clad in the Nehushtan Armor ready to battle Tsubasa and Hibiki. In Episode 4 Chris mocks Tsubasa as she reveals Solomon's Cane. They both yell at Hibiki as she tries to stop the fighting. Chris attacks first and blocks Tsubasa's own attack with the use of the chains. She effortlessly fights and blocks all of Tsubasa's attacks and kicks her back. Using the chain as a whip she tries to attack Tsubasa and summons Noise to keep Hibiki out of her way. Tsubasa continues to attack her as she blocks and throws her back down. She reveals that the plan was to abduct Hibiki the entire time.
As she talks Tsubasa uses her One Thousand Tears to force her to move and allow Tsubasa the space to get away. The two continue to fight as Chris summons more Noise. After Tsubasa destroys them all Chris uses her Nirvana Gedon which causes an explosion as Tsubasa tries to block. She tries to fight as Tsubasa gets up but finds that she cannot move due to Tsubasa's Shadow Weaving. As Tsubasa sings her Zesshou Chris tries to summon a group a Noise to stop her only to see that Tsubasa has already reached her.
As Tsubasa finishes Chris is thrown back as the Nehushtan Armor is damaged. As it starts to repair Chris leaves the battle scene.
As of Episode 5 Chris is seen to be working with Finé and is punished with torture via electrocution for her failure in capturing Hibiki. Later she is present at the attack on Hibiki and Ryoko during their transportation of Durandal. She is shocked by the fact that Hibiki was now able to fight the Noise as before she could barely use her Symphogear. She then steps in and kicks Hibiki before attempting to grab Durandal in which Hibiki knocks her out of the way. Out of anger Chris summons Noise before being blown away.
As of Episode 6 Chris is seen thinking about her past and childhood while feeling bitter toward Hibiki. As Finé appears Chris throws Solomon's Cane at Finé proclaiming that she can do what Finé wants without it. Later on Chris finds Hibiki and attacks her, but also attacking Miku in the process. She follows Hibiki away from Miku and attacks her. She expresses confusion at Hibiki's attampt at to talk to her and continues attacking. She is punches by Hibiki and the Nehustan Armour starts to crack.
Hibiki's words anger Chris at the start of Episode 7 and causes her to retaliate and harshly fight Hibiki. As the Nehustan Armor slowly regenerates Chris uses her Armour Purge and transform for the first time with the use of the Relic Ichaival. She proceeds to relentlessly attack Hibiki with the use of her newly revealed Relic. As the smoke clears she finds that Tsubsa had protected Hibiki from the attacks. She and Tsubasa begin to fight and Chris is unable to land any damage and prepares to continue fighting before Noise come down and damage her Armed Gear and attempt to harm her. She is saved by Hibiki and catches her afterwards.
As Finé appears and discards Chris, Chris chases after her. Later in the night Chris walks alone and thinks about the fight from earlier. She finds children in the park and offers to help the children find their father. In the end she goes off the Finé's hideout and confronts her about being thrown away and is cornered by the Noise and Finé.
Having transformed Chris is running from a small group of Noise in Episode 8, she collaspes in a back alley after destroying all the Noise. She wakes up as Miku is caring for her and find that she was wearing Miku's clothes. She pulls the comforter around herself in embarassment as she isn't wearing underwear as Miku didn't give her any. She later thanks Miku for her care and comments that Miku is quiet. She tells Miku that she had been alone ever since her parents died and even then that they were half way around the world, and since then had never had friends.
She expresses her bitterness toward Finé for using her, having thought that Finé was the only one who had understood her. Chris also tells Miku to beat the shit out of whoever she had fought with and then make up. Confused at Miku's thanks Chris also gives Miku her name and is told that she wasn't a bad person. She pulls away at Miku's offer of friendship and admits to having done terrible things to her as the Noise Alarm goes off.
She is found by Noise after running off and tries to transform unsucessfully before being saved by Genjuro. Afterwards she transforms and fights off the Noise.
Chris is found by Genjuro who brings her food in Episode 9 in which she was supicious of. After Genjuro finishes speaking and she finishes eating Chris jumps out a window before transforming and running away. Later on Chris tries to fight off a large group of Noise before Hibiki comes to her aid. After the battle Chris knocks over trashcans and wonders why she helped Hibiki as she was the enemy.
Battle Against Finé
In Episode 10, Chris returned to Finé's hideout and look around as she saw many dead people. Turning around, she saw Genjuro and tried to tell him who did the whole thing. The latter pat her on the head while stating that he know she didn't do it. Chris were saved by genjuro after being caught in an explosion when a bomb was activated by one of Genjuro's personnel. Genjuro left Chris with a transmitter after giving him ideas of what Finé was up to. Chris came to aid Hibiki and Tsubasa when Noise attack. While doing so, She ended up in an argument with Tsubasa in which Hibiki help them to settle up. The three device a plan of action to destroy the Noise. When, the fight was over, Chris was hugged by Hibiki twice before Hibiki receive a call from Miku.
In Episode 11, Chris arrived at Lydian Music Academy which was already destroyed together with Tsubasa and Hibiki . Chris revealed Ryoko's secret as Finé before she transformed. The three engaged to a fight with Finé where Chris sacrifice herself to stop Finé and save the moon from destruction. She, then, appeared unscathed and fully recharge in Episode 12 when Hibiki activated her hidden power that help them to restore their strength and health.
Chris, along with Tsubasa and Hibiki, fought Finé and destroyed her plan in Episode 13. Afterwards, the three fly to the moon to destroy one of it's falling debris that was Finé's last resort. Chris and the two succeeded saving the Planet but was missing. Later on, they were considered to be dead.
However, few days passed, she along with Hibiki and Tsubasa appeared again, having just fake their death to avoid problems.
Season 2/ Symphogear G
The Emergence of New Enemies
Chris appeared in Season 2, Episode 1 together with Hibiki as they Fight the Noise while protecting the Solomon's Cane. Chris and Hibiki were about to leave to watch Tsubasa, as they left the cane to Dr. Ver.
Later on, Chris was seen watching the fight between Tsubasa and Maria Cadenzavna Eve with Hibiki in an Helicopter. They arrived in exact time when Tsubasa was cornered and began helping her.
- Makyū Ichaival
- Tsunaida Te Dake ga Tsumugu Mono
- FIRST LOVE SONG
- Bye-Bye Lullaby
- Kyōshitsu Monochrome
- Hajimari no Babel
- Nijiiro no Flügel
- RADIANT FORCE
- TRUST HEART
- BAYONET CHARGE
- Hōkago Key Holder
- According to notes from the manga:
- Chris is half-Japanese, half-American. She was born in Japan.
- Her strange way of speaking comes from her time spent overseas, and being home-schooled by her parents. It can be inferred from this that she never went to public school before season 2 of the anime.
- Her favourite food is anpan (bread filled with red bean paste).
- When she was living with Finé, Finé would "help" Chris with the shoulder and neck pains caused by her large breasts by electrocuting her with a low-power current on the parrilla.
- Chris' battle song genre is rock.
- Almost all of Chris's various attacks are references to the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise, most obvious in Billion Maiden utilizing the same weapons and firing pose as Heavy arms Custom but also in her superb song, which chains together the ultimate attacks of the Turn A, Double X and Wing Zero.
- Chris is the first person to have used two relics, the second being Maria Cadenzavna Eve.
- She is the first user to hold a full relic, the other being Finé.
- Chris is the only user to use a Spanish word in her song; she says "adios", which means goodbye.
- Chris was frequently tortured via electrocution by Finé. Both the manga and anime keywords state that Chris was tortured to removed the Nehushtan's corrosion from her body to stop her fusing with the relic like Hibiki and later Finé herself. The keywords state that Finé chose electrocution because of her sadism and belief that "pain is the only thing that connects the hearts of people".
- It is implied that Chris was sexually abused during her years in child trafficking; this is supported by her rant in episode 8 about no one listening to her when she told them to stop, or that it hurt, and her retort to Genjuro in episode 9 "So you were going to be my pimp too?". The anime implies that Finé uses her sexually as well, by having her dress Chris in revealing lingerie and call her "cute", as well as touch her while stating that only pain can connect them. None of these sexual undertones are in the manga.
- Finé gave Chris all her season 1 clothing, except for the clothes she wore as a child.
- Main article: Chris Yukine/Image gallery
- "教えてやる！あたしは歌が大ッ嫌いだ！/I shall tell you! I HATE SONGS!" - Episode 7
- "お前、本当のバカ！/You are truly an idiot!" - Season 2, Episode 1
- (To Miku) "I have no friends. My parents were halfway around the world when they were taken from me, and I've been alone ever since. I've never had any friends..." - Episode 8
- (To Miku) "And the one person who I thought understood me was just using me all along. No one ever treated me as an equal. Adults are all trash. They didn't listen when I said that it hurt. They didn't listen when I told them to stop. They didn't listen to anything I said!" - Episode 8
- "It's my fault that so many people... I didn't want it to end like this! But every time I try... Every single damn time..." - Episode 8
- (To the Noise) "I'm right here! So leave the others the hell out of this!" - Episode 8
- "Show us that your cane isn't just a tool for murder, Solomon!" - Season 2, Episode 13
References and Notes
|Hibiki Tachibana | Tsubasa Kazanari | Kanade Amou | Chris Yukine | Maria Cadenzavna Eve | Shirabe Tsukuyomi | Kirika Akatsuki | Serena Cadenzavna Eve | Miku Kohinata|
|Mobile Disaster Response Corps (2nd Division)|
|Genjuro Kazanari | Ryōko Sakurai | Shinji Ogawa | Aoi Tomosato | Sakuya Fujitaka|
|Noise | Finé | John Wayne Vercingetorix | Nastassja Sergeyevna Tolstaya | Carol Malus Dienheim | Phara Suyūf | Leiur Darāhim | Garie Tūmān | Micha Jawkān|
|Yumi Itaba | Kuriyo Ando | Shiori Terashima | Tony Glazer | Masahito Shibata | Elfnein | Yatsuhiro Kazanari | Akira Tachibana | Izak Malus Dienheim|