|Carol Malus Dienheim|
キャロル・マールス・ディーンハイム Kyaroru Mārusu Dīnhaimu
|Anime||Senki Zesshō Symphogear GX|
|Game||Senki Zesshō Symphogear XD Unlimited|
|Age||Unknown, centuries old|
|Status||Deceased; fused with Elfnein|
|Relics||Dur da Blá|
|Relatives||Izak Malus Dienheim (Father, †)|
She comes the abyss of Europe, that which has been called the "Dark Continent."
Prior to her father's death, Carol was like many others of her age, a kind, curious and loving child. She adored her father and was inspired by his curiosity as an alchemist and his drive to learn the mysteries of the world, which in turn caused her to start following in his footsteps.
However after the death of her father, Carol's personality took a dark turn. Over the centuries, she developed an obsessive, single-minded determination on "dissecting" the world using the alchemic secrets learned from her father, which was driven by both Carol's desire for vengeance and her twisting her father's last words and wishes, as he wanted her to learn the mysteries of the world. Due to this, she has displayed a few traits of nigh-mental instability as seen by the glee she displayed in her conversation with Dr. Ver when referring to the reasons why she wanted to break the world apart.
At this point, Carol is willing to sacrifice anyone and anything, including herself to see her plans completed, including placing Elfnein as a sleeper agent inside S.O.N.G in order to gain inside information and make her create the "Ignite Module" and even sacrifice her body and memories to fight the Symphogear users, displaying a determined, callous and manipulative attitude. She became a cold, calm and collected individual with an extreme amount of patience, working centuries to accomplish her goals.
She also seems to be rather arrogant, as she used the Japanese pronoun "ore" (オレ?) when referring to herself. In Japanese culture, "ore" is a masculine pronoun that is traditionally a sign of arrogance.
Attacks & Abilities
Hidden within her childish frame is a battle capacity of immense proportions, she has mastered and can freely control various energies including the “Aristotle” (the four elements of wind, fire, earth and water). Due to her centuries old age, Carol is an alchemic master who has accumulated a wealth of power and knowledge making her an extremely dangerous individual.
- Alchemic Master: Carol is a master of alchemy , a branch of knowledge that allows the user to manipulate any material to their most basic form, allowing either complete destruction or re-creation of anything they so desire. This is obtained by a unique process referred as "memory combustion", which as the name states consumes the user's memories, converting them into energy to fuel alchemic spells, rituals and techniques similar to how a song can be used to generate phonic gain. Due to her centuries long existence, Carol has a wealth of memories, allowing her to use alchemic powers to their full potential. When there is damage caused by an alchemic source, the affected party is seen being corroded by a red substance of sorts.
- Alca-Noise: At one point Carol managed to obtain the techniques for which to create Noise, which she modified using her alchemy. The result was the creation of a species of Noise unlike other before. On one hand, the Alca-Noise are susceptible to being damage and even destroyed by conventional weapons (although the amount of firepower required to achieve this still makes conventional engages nigh-suicide), on the other hand, their offensive power is far superior. Their arms have a faint white glow, being armed with something called a "dissection organ". Contact with said organ causes anything to disintegrate and break apart to the molecular level, even a Symphogear, which has a barrier that would normally prevent contact with the Noise to kill the user.
- Four Elements: Carol's main offensive set of spells. At any point, Carol can generate one of four different symbol patterns, that can bring out one of the four elements: earth, wind, fire, air. Generally used as destructive spells, anyone of these spells carries immense offensive power capable of causing widespread devastation and even damage a Symphogear user.
- Homunculus: As part of her alchemic knowledge, Carol has the ability to create homunculus; a type of quasi-human creatures. Through this process she created Elfnein in her image and with specific parts of her alchemic knowledge to help her develop the Chateau de Tifauges and later work as a sleeper agent in S.O.N.G. She can also see through the eyes of her creations and even manipulated them to a very small extent. Using this knowledge, Carol has also created various copies of her own body, allowing her to effectively cheat death and become immortal, by storing her memories and then transferring then into a spare body, should her current body be killed. However the process seems delicate as when transferring into her latest body, she apparently rushed it and along with the memories of her suicide, caused her current body to try and reject her.
- Dur da Blá (ダウルダブラ Daurudabura?): Carol's personal weapon, this complete relic takes the form of a harp. When activated it transforms into a full set of body armor, while also causing Carol's body to mature from that of a child into a full adult body. Aside from this, the harp can also be used a piercing weapon as seen when Carol impaled Dr. Ver with it. Notable among the relics is that this one does not require an activation song to work and can be powered through the same process of memory combustion that serves as the cornerstone of alchemic power.
- Enhanced Alchemic Power: When under the power of the Robe, Carol's alchemic spells become much more powerful. Her elemental spells become much more destructive to the point of overwhelming three Symphogear users with relative ease. However this takes a toll on Carol as she has to burn a lot of her memories to generate such large amounts of power, as seen when in one battle against Hibiki, Tsubasa and Chris, she burned through her entire centuries worth of memories.
- Superb Song: Also at one point, Carol became capable of singing a Superb Song through unknown means and with none of destructive effects that plague other Symphogear users and allowing her to generate a massive amount of phonic gain. This gives an even greater explosion of power and further enhances her alchemic power.
- Strings: The Robe's harp stings serve a multi-purpose tool for both offensive and defensive situations. Carol can manipulate the strings into a variety of shapes and forms such as webs or even an arm drill to defend, attack or restrict a foe. Likewise the strings when played seem to trigger Carol's spells in this form. She can also use her strings to create a giant metal beast that can withstand the power of five Symphogear users in X-Drive.
- Although Carol is a character that newly debuted in the Symphogear GX, but her voice actress, Inori Minase was no stranger to the Symphogear franchise, as she first voiced several minor characters in the first season of the series.
- Her middle name, Malus refers to a genus of apple trees, as well as the Latin word for "evil".
- Carol shares a vast many similarities with Finé, to the point where Carol is almost an outright copy of her:
- Both have long blonde hair, are not Japanese, are associated with the colour gold, have eyes with split pupils, wear similar revealing outfits (Carol's casual outfit resembles Finé's, as do their relic armors).
- Both have lived for over centuries, maintained their immortality by constantly changing bodies, have much knowledge of relics, originate from ancient times, wield a relic that transforms into armor with weapons (both of which have a similar design), create dragon forms out of their relics (with them acting as the "core"), build large devices to use to destroy a celestial object (Kadingir for Finé and the Chateau de Tiffages for Carol; interestingly, both devices have green beams), use alchemical powers (Finé created alchemy and it is thus implied her supernatural powers are of alchemical nature), manipulate and abuse their minions (Chris Yukine for Finé and Elfnein for Carol), both of whom end up turning on them and working on the protagonist's side.
- Both were once kind and well-meaning people who are now motivated by selfishness and revenge, seek vengeance against and the destruction of humanity as a result of lost love (both of which are male; interestingly, the burning of Carol's father is connected to God in the dialogue), have a change of heart in the end brought about by the words and actions of Hibiki Tachibana.
- Both are also the main antagonists of their debut seasons, craft complex plots against the protagonists involving them working in the shadows and planting some sort of mole in the division, had a major effect on the Symphogear system (Finé created it, Carol manipulated Elfnein into creating the Ignite Module) which they utilized for an ulterior motive (Finé made the Symphogear to secure funding for Kadingir, Carol made the Ignite Module to create the cursed song for the Chateau), and have many narrative parallels with the protagonist characters (too many to list for both).
- Main article: Carol Malus Dienheim/Image gallery