The Noise (ノイズ Noizu?) are an unknown race that has appeared throughout series' times.
13 Years ago at the United Nations General Assembly, the Noise were officially recognized under the classification of "special disaster." The Noise have been observed to take form in various shapes and sizes, but all of them are equipped with a means of attack. Each form shares certain attributes specific for the purpose of functioning as a weapon:
- They only target human beings. Any person who comes in direct contact with them immediately turns into carbon and dissolves, as does the Noise itself.
- The general laws of nature regarding energy loss and consumption do not apply to them.
- They typically appear without warning, leaking out of thin air and multiplying instantly.
- There are no valid means of repelling their attacks. Aside from sacrificing an equal number of human bodies that would reduce the Noise to lumps of carbon, the only other option is to wait and stall for a period of time after their emergence, until the Noise self-destruct on their own.
- Because they look similar to other living creatures, past experiments had attempted to communicate with them, but these were unable to proceed due to numerous failures. Ultimately, communicating and controlling the Noise is impossible because they likely have no capacity for free thought.
This is the data that has been recorded thus far. Because there are still many mysteries surrounding the Noise, all the nations of the world are currently working on further research in order to gain a better understanding of them.
Enormous quantities of Noise exist within the Treasury of Babylonia, an extra dimensional space from which they can be drawn forth and controlled using the complete relic Solomon's Cane. It is unknown if this is their home dimension.
Certain characters, such as the Autoscorers are able to summon them using crystals. Unlike regular Noise, they have the ability to destroy Symphogear, making them far more dangerous than regular Noise. The parts that can destroy Symphogear are the parts that are glowing. However, unlike regular Noise, they can be destroyed by means other than Symphogear, such as firearms.
Karma Noise (カルマノイズ Karumanoizu?) are a new type of Noise that appear in the Senki Zesshō Symphogear XD Unlimited event, Hen'yoku no Sōsha. Karma Noise are Noise from a parallel world. They first appear during the Zwei Wing concert, where Tsubasa sacrifices herself by singing her superb song to destroy them.
Karma Noise only appear in places with high concentration of people or phonic gain. A single Karma Noise can kill multiple people at once. Karma Noise also disrupt use of the Ignite Module and create anger and confusion in people nearby them. Karma Noise are also incredibly difficult to destroy, often needing superb songs used to be defeated. They can also disintegrate people without they themselves disintegrating. In exchange, however, Karma Noise will eventually disappear if there are no people around to target. Essentially, Karma Noise are an automated weapon designed to kill, vanish, appear and kill again in a cycle.
- heir ability to not be affected by conventional weapons due to the effects of their Phase Contrast Barrier, and yet remain able to affect the world around them, is similar to that of the Gnosis from Xenosaga.
- Another similarity is that just like the Noise, the Gnosis have the ability to kill people by transmuting their bodies into another substance (salt for the Gnosis, carbon for the Noise) just by touching them.
- Also like the Noise, mythical creatures such as fairies and other creatures said to be of the imagination were most likely the Gnosis.